At Spleodar we strive to make our applications process as fair and accessible as we possibly can, despite the limited numbers available for our courses and our strong emphasis on having a great mix of students in each venue. We are hugely disappointed about the Covid-19 reality of 2020 and the experiences missed by so many students: may 2021 bring us back to friends, learning, and fun. We have come up with a set of notes that will help to make this year’s registration as smooth and straightforward as possible.
Please read this full list before posting your application.
- A deposit of €350 is required. The options for payment are cheque, postal order or bank draft. Made payable to Spleodar.
- Please write the student’s name and date of birth on back of payment.
- A photograph is required with application form. This does not need to be a passport photo. Please staple it to the application form in space allotted.
- If a group of friends are applying to a Spleodar course please post applications in the same envelope. If this is not possible due to time constraints have a cover letter attached to the application form with all friends’ names listed.
- For the past few years, many June courses have been booked up in one day! Please consider a later date in the summer if it suits, as over 200 applicants were unsuccessful for 2020 on the first day of processing alone.
- Corr na Móna June has a capacity of 90 students. Each year within the first 3 days of applications we receive 200 applications for Corr na Móna. Due to this the max number of friends permitted on this course is 3.
- When applying for June choose multiple courses to improve chances of securing a place. If we have a list of friends as discussed in question 4 we can process everyone on the same course then.
- As we receive over 1000 applications in the first few days alone please allow us time to process receipts. If you are unsuccessful you normally hear from us first with a range of options.
- Application forms for 2021 courses will be available to download from www.spleodar.com at 1pm on Sunday 6th of September.
- The address to send the application form to is: Spleodar, Teach Phuirséíl, Bothar An Chairn Mhór, Uarán Mór, Co Na Gaillimhe.
- Do not register post as our postman arrives very early and no one will be available to sign for it. This means collection that evening and a delay in processing your student.
- Applications cannot be made online or via email. We have been considering these options for some time but for the 2021 summer bookings, to maintain a consistent system we are sticking with post-applications only.
Important: How does Covid-19 Affect 2021 Applications?
Application process re Covid 19
At present Spleodar have not been asked by The Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht to review the number of students we are allowed on our summer 2021 courses. We intend to proceed ahead with full capacity until instructed otherwise.
With Covid 19 in mind we will issue anyone who signs up to Spleodar with a number on their letter of confirmation. This number indicates what number they are on our course. For example, if you are the 90th student enrolled for Tír an Fhia, 90 will be written on your letter of confirmation. If we are instructed to reduce the numbers on our courses in accordance with health guidelines we will then return to the number you will have received on your letter of confirmation. Students who cannot be accommodated if our course numbers are reduced will then be placed on the waiting list for their course in order of the number received on the letter of confirmation.
We will not be opening waiting lists until guidelines are issued with regards to course numbers. In April Spleodar offered a choice to all those who were enrolled for courses in Summer 2020 to defer their course until Summer 2021. A large number of families chose this option and a number of courses are already close to capacity.
If you are choosing one of the courses mentioned below or are applying with a large group of friends please note that there is limited availability on the following courses:
- Corr na Móna A
- Ros Muc A
- Leitir Móir A
Unfortunately, we will have some families disappointed when applying for June 2021, perhaps more so then with other years. We will, as always, do our upmost to accommodate everyone, but we encourage parents to consider courses in July or August to safely guarantee a spot with us in summer 2021. We ask for patience in allowing us time to contact everyone.
If due, to matters out of our control our summer curses are cancelled or numbers are restricted we will issue a full refund less €20 administration fee.
Spleodar is dedicated to following public health guidelines. We are awaiting instructions from The HSE and The Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and will follow all guidelines set down by them. Please note that at present we are not planning to run buses to and from our courses. A decision on buses will be made when we receive guidelines regarding the same.
You will appreciate that Spleodar is committed to ensuring the safety of all its students and staff and any further measures implemented will be in accordance with public health guidelines at that time.
Spleodar Samhraidh agus Geimhridh Teo
Oifig Cláraithe: Teach Phuirseil, Br. an Chairn Mhoir, Uarán Mór, Co. na Gaillimhe, Cláraithe in Éirinn Uimhir 373263
Stiúrthóirí: M. Ó Bradaigh, P. Ní Chinnsealaigh, E Mac Cormaic, B Ni Ghreachain, D. Nic Gabhann, C. Ni Mhaoilchiaráin, S. Ó Mórdha , P.Ó Broin, P. Mag Lionnáin.